Prototyping Intelligent Learning Environments for IDEATE
Students explore a learning environment and scope their design research into proposing an environment where the digital and physical merge together to enhance the learning experience. Students conduct a proof of concept demo and communicate their design concept. The final outcome is a video documentation that includes high-fi design as well as interactive prototype
Project Deliverables for all assignments:
(1) A 200×200 pixel thumbnail for the project with a 35-word description (e.g., one sentence).
(2) Link to process work. Documented real in-progress process (not process fictions). Document and reflect on your design process as you work.
(3) Self-reflection questions at the end of each assignment.
(4) Submit final files to Box-folder.
(5) Intranet submission: All projects are required to be uploaded to the CMU Design intranet, complete with imagery, descriptions, and links as appropriate. This is a requirement for all projects, so make sure you know how to log in, have the correct password, etc.
Studio A3. Prototyping Intelligent Environments 40%
• e.g. Is the problem worth solving? Is the student communicating the design concept effectively through his/her design (form+context) and the proof of concept demo?
• Are the physical, digital, and hybrid environment components documented online?
• Are is the process work documented online visually and the process work explained?
• Is there tangible evidence of exploration multiple versions, iterations, documented site visits (e.g., multiple types of sketches, photographs, annotations, etc)
• Were the final files submitted?
Prototyping Lab A3. Prototyping Intelligent Environments 30%
• Did the student demonstrate design abilities for expressing the form, characteristics, idea of an environment?
• What are the interactive elements in their final demo?
3D Video Sketching for Environments
Video Prototype (3D Animation Rendering + Real Video) Based on your storyboard... 1) Capture the highlight moments of your interaction design 2) Video shoot the actual space (studio) 3) Based on the video footage, align your 3D scene and render animation with transparent background 4) Superimpose the 3D modeling animation on top of the video scene to create your video prototype
Demo Video Documentation